Warmer weather is such a welcome change after a cold winter.
Time to get back outside, exercise and lounging in the sun.
It all sounds so delightful.
We have to talk about boob sweat, skin fold rashes and thigh chaffing.
These are very real conditions that can put a damper on enjoying the season.
3 Ways To Manage Sweaty Summer Skin Folds
- Use the blowdryer to dry off completely when you get out of the shower. This means under your breasts, between your toes, back fat folds, tummy folds…everywhere. Most dryers have a cool (or at least ‘not hot’) setting.
- Apply an antiperspirant to the affected area. This can be your regular deodorant stick/spray. You may need to reapply during the day.
- Keep an anti-fungal cream on hand. Yeast likes to grow in warm dark places. So skin folds are a favourite place for a red itchy rash to show up. If the cream isn’t helping within an application or two, please have your health care provider take a look at it.
You’ll likely need to repeat the cleaning, drying and antiperspirant steps every time that you exercise or get overheated and sweaty. Keeping some wipes handy can help when a shower isn’t possible.
What about thigh chaffing?
Thigh chaffing can take the fun out of wearing summer dresses and skirts.
There are some great options out there. Try them out, see what works for you.
- Body Glide. It’s a stick that you apply like a deodorant that creates a barrier over your skin. This can be applied anywhere where you have skin rubbing skin – not just your thighs. I’ve seen other similar products recommended over the years – the Facebook group Caring For Our Fat Bodies is a great resource.
- Thigh Bands. Google this and you’ll find a huge array. I learned about them from a Refinary29 article. If shorts aren’t your thing, these are a pretty alternative.
- Shorts. Bike shorts work well because they hug your thigh. You don’t want anything loose as it will cause it’s own chaffing. My only complaint is that I find them hot and that leads to it’s own. Check out the Thigh Society. I haven’t purchased from them yet but I will be!
If you have some tried and true solutions or favourite products, please drop a link in the comments ?
Until next time,